An invisible red thread connects those who are destined to meet, regardless of time, place or circumstance. The thread may stretch or tangle but will never break. --Chinese legend

Monday, May 5, 2008

Harmonious Time


The long wait finally pays off. Instead of labor, here's how I spent the last hour before we picked up David.

The Chinese call the time between picking up your child and finalizing the adoption "harmonious time." Our harmonious time began this afternoon at 2:30 at the Civil Affairs office in Chongqing. There are four other families in our travel group, and we all went up to the 14th floor together to meet our children. It was quite a scene. There are 3 toddlers, including David, a 4 year old boy and an 8 year old girl.

David is great. Totally adorable with an enormous, flat head. Every time we've told him that we are "mama" and "baba," he has cried. He fell asleep on the way back from the civil affairs office while we read "Go Dog Go", but that didn't last long. We've enjoyed a snack of prunes and Cheerios, but he is shaking his head "no" at his bottle. So far we've learned that Cheerios are his favorite toy (great grabbing by the handful and dropping all over the place), he can walk with his hands held (though not particularly well) and, according to the daily schedule we received, his bedtime is 10:00pm. Not for long. I hope.
At the civil affairs office
Bus ride back to the hotel
I've been at this for almost an hour. The computer is being very uncooperative. More pictures tomorrow. Sorry I couldn't add more.

19 comments:

Lao Lao and Lao Ye said...

He is amazing! Thanks be to God!

Love,
SC Parental Grandparents

Beth and Ryan said...

Congratulations! I am so excited to be following you along on your journey....it is hard to believe that we were just there a little over a month ago. The pool did not look like that in March! The first two days were the most trying....hang in there!

Dad and Mom M said...

He is beautiful and together you are a beautiful family! Our love to you all.

Anonymous said...

Mazeltov Maas family!!! 10pm gives him plenty of time to catch up with Snoopy and Pete.

Unknown said...

David is so precious and is right where he belongs! What a wonderful day...

Anonymous said...

We are so happy for all three of you. Can't wait to see more pictures!

Anonymous said...

Congrats! He is adorable! I am thinking that this Cheerios as a toy is a great plan. He throws them, and then Pete and Snoopy can eat them. There is little to no clean up, and every one (including the dogs) is happy!

Enjoy the rest of your trip!

Hungry ABCD said...

Guys,

Your entries are great. I am so happy I have the opportunity to follow along. David is absolutely adorable. Good Luck with the rest of the trip!!!

Veda, Ann, and Andy

Unknown said...

Congratulations! What a cutie!
Good luck with the transition!

Anonymous said...

Congralations! I'm such a sap - I can't stop crying. Your pictures are all beautiful. I can't wait to see and here more! Love, Jennifer

Anonymous said...

All I can say is that I have tears in my eyes. I am SOOOOO happy for you guys. What a beautiful family!

Anonymous said...

I have to admit, I'm a little teary eyed right now. What a precious little boy! Congratulations!

MissTrixie said...

He is beautiful! Congratulations.

Anonymous said...

Oh my gosh!!! He is adorable. You make the cutest family! Can't wait to meet him!

Anonymous said...

Maas Family... You have been very blessed !!!! God really thinks you're special people. I cant wait to see David he is beautiful. I hope Pete and Snoopy are preparing for David's arrival!!!! Many blessings to you and you're new family!!!! We miss you already
Love, Marybeth MD......

Anonymous said...

TND@Kevin, Words can't even explain how happy I am for all of you! David is absolutely precious. I can't wait to see him. I love the Maas blog. Have a safe trip home. Give David a big kiss from all of us at CWC!!! Love,Nancy

Anonymous said...

congatulations! Mom & Dad! Wow that sounds awesome......He is soooo cute. I wish you the very best... take care, see you later,
love ya!!!xoxoxooxo

Anonymous said...

YOU BROUGHT TEARS TO OUR EYES AS WE were LOOKING OVER THE PHOTOS,YOU GUYS MAKE A SUPERB PARENTS.iAM SO HAPPY FOR YOU.DAVID is a cuty.I CAN'T WAIT TO SEE HIM @THE SHOES PARTYYYYYYYYY.LOVE BL.

Great Uncle Rog said...

WoW!!! What a cutie! Can't wait to hear him laugh.
You guys look so happy now that your pachyderm like pregnancy is over.
Great pics, thanks, sharing the days with us is really great and we appreciate it!
Any good deals on tape players there?

Luv ya,
Barb & Rog