An invisible red thread connects those who are destined to meet, regardless of time, place or circumstance. The thread may stretch or tangle but will never break. --Chinese legend

Friday, August 1, 2008

18 months old

Our little monkey is 18 months old today, and in just 4 days we'll celebrate 3 months since Gotcha Day. Honestly, it seems like he's been with us much longer than that.
David understands so much of what we say now. He follows all sorts of basic commands. (His favorite is shutting Kevin in his closet.) I can't wait until he can say more than hi, hello, mama and more because it's obvious he has a lot he wants to say. He is trying so hard to use sound to communicate. If the phone rings, and we don't answer it, his eyes get very big and he looks right at us and yells "ma!" to tell us we're not doing what we're supposed to. Whenever the dogs are barking, he'll run to find them and yell at them as loud as he can. I know he's trying to shut them up.
Everyone continues to do well with my return to work. David still looks a little befuddled when I come and go, and sometimes he cries when I leave, but he and Alma seem to be having a great time during the day. They've taken many trips to the park and even went to Millennium Park downtown to splash in the fountains there. He's spending lots of time with the kids on the block which he absolutely loves. Yesterday morning, I was out with him before I left for work, and he gave our 3 year old neighbor Fiona two big kisses while they were playing. So sweet.
I have been thinking more than usual about David's foster mom since my return to work. I hate leaving him for 8 hours knowing that he's at home, safe and happy. I don't know how she parted with him after 9 months together not knowing where he would go or if he would be happy. It's very important to me that we let her know he's okay. I wrote her a letter and had it translated into Mandarin. I put 5 pictures of David in with the letter and mailed it to his orphanage on Tuesday. We have no information about his foster family and no way to locate them. I'm pretty confident the letter will find its way to her, though, since I know she received the care package we sent to David while he was in foster care.

So cute (and so thirsty) in the tub

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I thoroughly enjoy that one of the basic commands he is following is to shut Kevin in the closet. I am proud of you. I need to work on that with Nick and Carl.

Lao Lao and Lao Ye said...

Happy 18 months! We're counting down the days until we arrive in Chicago!

XXXOOO
SC GM